Thursday, December 4, 2008

Words With Meaning

hey

poetry has always fascinated me since i was a little girl because they always seem to rhyme ... i know i'm weird but i couldn't help it ok ? so one of my favourite poets is Robert Frost . i bet some of you already know him as his poem fire and ice is featured in the book eclipse in the twilight series by stephanie meyer... if you don't believe me go and check and see x) and you might know him as welll as we did one of his poems during our high school years (The Road Not Taken) i remember reciting that poem in front of class during form 1 for my ulbs...

Robert Frost

"At times bittersweet, sometimes ironic, or simply marveling at his surroundings, one can also see autobiographical details in Frost’s works; he suffered devastating losses in his life including the untimely deaths of his sister, two of his children and his wife. He knew the soul’s depths of psychic despair but was also capable of delighting in birch trees ‘loaded with ice a sunny winter morning’. While memorialising the rural landscape, vernacular, culture and people of New England in his traditional verse style, his poems also transcend the boundaries of time and place with metaphysical significance and modern exploration of human nature in all her beauty and contradictions. Though not without his critics, millions of readers the world over have found comfort and profound meaning in his poetry and he has influenced numerous other authors, poets, musicians, and playwrights into the 21st Century."

His Poems...


Flower-Gathering
I left you in the morning,
And in the morning glow,
You walked a way beside me
To make me sad to go.
Do you know me in the gloaming,
Gaunt and dusty gray with roaming?
Are you dumb because you know me not,
Or dumb because you know?
All for me And not a question
For the faded flowers gay
That could take me from beside you
For the ages of a day?
They are yours, and be the measure
Of their worth for you to treasure,
The measure of the little while
That I've been long away.
Fireflies in the Garden
Here come real stars to fill the upper skies,
And here on earth come emulating flies,
That though they never equal stars in size,
(And they were never really stars at heart)
Achieve at times a very star-like start.
Only, of course, they can't sustain the part.
The Freedom of the Moon
I've tried the new moon tilted in the air
Above a hazy tree-and-farmhouse cluster
As you might try a jewel in your hair.
I've tried it fine with little breadth of luster,
Alone, or in one ornament combining
With one first-water start almost shining.
I put it shining anywhere I please.
By walking slowly on some evening later,
I've pulled it from a crate of crooked trees,
And brought it over glossy water, greater
,And dropped it in, and seen the image wallow,
The color run, all sorts of wonder follow.
anyway thats just a few of them ... he has many works ... My favourite is my butterfly...
thats all for now bye everyone..
-natalie-

No comments: